operations and Production associate
Malai is a Brooklyn-based super premium ice cream company that focuses on robust global flavors and whole quality ingredients. Since 2015, we have been introducing high-end, luxurious ice cream with unique flavors like Rose with Cinnamon Roasted Almonds and Masala Chai. We hold our business to the highest standards in every aspect from sourcing only the best ingredients to producing top quality products. Our products are currently available in many specialty food stores across New York City, including a growing presence across the region’s Whole Foods, online marketplaces, and popular events like Smorgasburg. In our third year of business, we are quickly growing our wholesale and retail operations, including a brick and mortar retail store, pop-ups, and additional distribution to reach more markets. This is an exciting opportunity to join a fast-growing company at an early stage, make a real impact and help shape our future and direction.
Malai seeks an Operations and Production Associate who will be a critical team player on our small team and serve as a point-person for all production-related activities, helping to set the foundation to help grow Malai into our next phase. The Operations and Production Associate will be responsible for product and process quality to ensure the highest level of customer and consumer satisfaction. As a key member of a start-up team, the Operations and Production Associate will also have the opportunity to make meaningful impact in other functional areas of the company. This is a full-time position based in Brooklyn, NY. The Operations and Production Associate will report to the Operations Manager, and will work closely with the Founder and CEO.
The ideal candidate has experience working in a fast-paced environment, is able to think on their feet, has an “all hands on deck” mentality, and has the flexibility, energy and humor to handle anything that comes their way. Experience working in a start-up is preferred, but not necessary. A flexible schedule is required including nights and weekends to support markets and other events.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Manufacturing and Quality
- Oversee manufacturing/production runs
- Implement policies and procedures to ensure that quality standards are met during production
- Develop and issue manufacturing instructions for new products and processes
- Develop new menu items that are brand driven
Production and Forecasting
- Work with Operations Manager to manage inventory of all raw materials, packaging, and finished goods
- Work with Operations Manager to establish additional procedures and metrics to measure operational efficiency, such as manufacturing yield
Event Operations and Sales
- Represent the company in any situation, including in trade shows, markets and events, and wholesale accounts
- Ensure brand standards and customer experiences are consistent and in line with company expectations at markets, pop-ups, demonstrations and other events
- Support onsite execution of markets, pop-ups, demonstrations and other events, including set-up and breakdown of all events
- Ensure event amenities and equipment are up to date/functioning adequately
- Oversee the shipments and pickups of direct to consumer orders
As a member of a startup team, you must possess the following qualities:
- Collegial, collaborative, and have great people and relationship-building skills
- Strong desire and willingness to do whatever it takes to get the job done well
- Highest levels of integrity and good judgment
- Strong sense of ownership and urgency in all matters related to the health of the business
- Analytical problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to prioritize and balance multiple tasks
- Clear communication skills and an orientation toward customer satisfaction
- Ability to train staff
- Proven kitchen experience (2 years preferred)
- Prior experience in ice cream making preferred, but not required
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Flexibility to work on nights and weekends
- Ability to work in cold environments
- Duties may include lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Food Handler's Permit
Salary: This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary is commensurate with experience.
How to Apply: Interested candidates should send a brief cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.